Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Letting Yourself Off the Hook

Some days, it`s better to not think too much about whatever bugs you. Today, instead of doing my usual bunch of errands and emails and things online, I decided to focus on my son. Just him and I.  

I chose to let the little things be bigger, like when we play catch and he runs after the ball shrieking with delight. Or how happy it makes him to read together. Or how he would spin me around in my office chair, and his giddy peals of laughter remind me so much of the one little boy that, during my pregnancy, I really hoped my son would someday resemble. All these moments would have been lost on me if I absentmindedly smiled and nodded at him while the rest of my mind remained stuck in my broken record of worries. 

So what if the dishes don't get done, or if we don't have a spectacular dinner tonight. So what if I don`t find all the answers I`m looking for. Today is going to be a day of moments. 

And you know what, some of those things happened anyway! The house stayed somewhat tidy, dinner turned out good... Being in the moment and choosing not to stress out resulted in being more fluid in my productivity, and helped to keep the perception of my worries from ballooning into something they do not have to be. 

Mamahood is tough work. And I`m sure you all have heard the phrase “Enjoy it, it passes so fast” more times than you would like to recall. But most clichés become cliché because there is something universally true about it., and this one is no exception.

Tuning out for a while from ever-present worries, and also from technology (seriously, I won`t be offended if this blog post actually compels you to close your laptop right now!) will help you to tune IN to what really matters: the loved ones who surround you.

So, go love them, and let their presence bring you love.

GO!


For more motivation to unplug, watch this brilliant poem entitled “Look Up"

No comments:

Post a Comment